Welcome!

Welcome to the class blog for ENGL 206-012. Here we interpret 400 years of literature with our 21st century minds and tools. Enjoy!

Monday, October 28, 2013

In Memoriam #123

In #123 of In Memoriam, I saw an inner existential crisis being solved by ALT. In the first two quatrains ALT observes the ever-changing never absolute nature of nature. He's focused on the fleeting stability of the physical world. After numerous readings, I became particularly fixated on the words "and nothing stands." These words were what really made the first two quatrains sound like existential frustration, instead of metaphysical inquiry. (without fancy terms, the phrase "and nothing stands" made the descriptions problematic, and not simply explaining how the world is) I read the line, and hear ALT saying nothing remains defined, nothing stands the test of time, everything is subject to chance.  To justify my existential evaluation, it can be interpreted to mean nothing stands for anything, i.e., nihilism.
The last quatrain supports the idea that ALT is fighting against the understanding he conveys of the world in the first two quatrains.  I read the last quatrain as ALT using dualism to solve his troubles. He is saying, yeah this is how the physical world may be, but I live/exist in the spiritual world. Where things exist as long as he holds them true. Although things in the world may go away, he still holds them in his mind. The poem makes sense subjectless, but more than likely it is a reflection on the loss of his best friend, as the whole book of poems is in memory his friend. Since I need to fill some space, I'll make the deductive connection. ALT may have said good bye to his friend, i.e., at his funeral, but ALT will not let that "adieu" take away the feelings, understanding, and thoughts that exist concerning his friend. Arthur Hallam, ALT's friend, continues to live on in ALT's mind.

2 comments:

  1. Woah, I really like your interpretation. I hadn't gotten past the literal reading of the poem. I think you were right to emphasize the line, "and nothing stands". This sense of existentialism seems to be a theme throughout ALT's work; I guess, understandably so, since he just lost a good friend. This also reminds me of an E.E, Cummings poem "I Carry Your Heart".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interpretation! I like how you talked about the first two quatrains could be saying that nothing stays the same and stands the test of time, which in turn means, nothing stands for anything. This, in itself, is a very powerful statement, and I would agree with your assessment of those two quatrains of the poem. As for the last quatrain, I also like your interpretation. Since this entire collection of poems is about ALT's friend, it would make sense that he would reference him somehow in each poem. This final statement of him saying goodbye literally, but not goodbye to the memories and feeling he still holds for his friends is powerful and I think we can all relate to this, if we have ever lost someone we love dearly. We never forget them, even when say our final goodbyes.

    ReplyDelete