Welcome!

Welcome to the class blog for ENGL 206-012. Here we interpret 400 years of literature with our 21st century minds and tools. Enjoy!

Monday, November 18, 2013

Aggravating Lady

    I loved the way Wilde used men and women against one another along with the use of the word/ name Earnest. I’ll be honest, I didn’t notice the spelling of the name until the end, I had been reading it as Ernest since it was his name. I thoroughly enjoyed the double meaning throughout the play based on this spelling. As far as how he played with the differences between the men and women, I loved the way the men were able to completely dictate how the women would respond if they were to ever meet without both men knowing both women involved.

    I did find it interesting that the play ended so well, and it bothered me a little that everything turned out so perfectly. I understand that the time warranted the need for a background in order to be accepted within society but for the terms of marriage and the absolute dislike of John by Lady Bracknell seemed very unnecessary. I liked John and I didn’t feel like there was any reason for her not to like him and any excuse she came up with seemed to be more excuses that didn’t make sense. I also found it interesting that he was able to hold the marriage over her head, or at least it was assumed he would if they hadn’t found out his lineage. Over all I thoroughly enjoyed the play but I almost hated Lady Bracknell. On more than one instance she proved to be so introverted and only looked out for her own good- even admitting to lie to Lord Bracknell in order to maintain control and keep things in place. It might be my thoughts of life in this time period but I felt she was very close minded and didn’t do a whole lot for me in terms of the plot.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree on the necessity of Lady Bracknell's awfulness towards John. I found that through Lady Bracknell's actions towards John Wilde was able to make another comment on the problematic nature of social statuses. At the end of the story, nothing at all has changed about John's character except his background/ the knowledge of his heritage, yet this surface change, or change in appearance, allows Lady Bracknell accept John. This whole thing shows that it's more important what family you're born into than who you are as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you like John but dislike Lady Bracknell. I think that both of these characters are looking for their own good. I mean, John creates his own separate identity so that he can act out of self-interest without judgement. He is attempting to maintain control, just in a different way that Bracknell does. He lies about his name. I can definitely see why you would dislike Lady Bracknell. I was not too fond of her myself, but for completely different reasons. I think that she represents the hypocrisy of the high social class, and as Zach says, the perceived importance of reputation and lineage. Two very real issues of the time that annoy me to no end.

    ReplyDelete