Welcome!

Welcome to the class blog for ENGL 206-012. Here we interpret 400 years of literature with our 21st century minds and tools. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Plain Jane

So after reading this portion of the novel, I really enjoying Jane Eyre. I found her to be an interesting character. Her identity and the way she is described fascinate me. It is quite obvious that Jane is a very strong and feisty female character, but she is often described as very plain and very simple, trying to blend in, almost in a wallflower-ish sort of way. And I can’t decide if that takes away from and contributes to her character. I mean she obviously has had a hard life – she was an orphan who lived with an aunt who didn’t want her and was either physically or verbally abused by her cousins. Living with those kinds of people you would learn to lay low and keep quiet, but she often acts out. One of my favorite Jane moments was when she lashed out at her aunt just before leaving, telling Aunt Reed how she really felt. I found myself cheering for her when she told her aunt “And if any one asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say the very thought of you makes me sick.” (30)

But back to her identity – she is plain, and even her name suggests it. “Plain Jane” Compared to her cousins who are described as beautiful, Jane sees herself as nothing out of the ordinary, maybe even slightly ugly. When she is at Thornfield she even tells the reader that she dresses in dark plain colored dresses, like black or grey because she had no article of attire that was not made with extreme simplicity, wishes that she had better looks and hopes that her pupil does not recoil from her with antipathy.  I think this could contribute to the idea that she is the “other.” She is not good looking like other characters are depicted in the novel and often finds herself in a place of exile or on the outside.  She looks for a place to fit in and call home, and almost seems to find some comfort and tranquility in Miss Temple, until Miss Temple leaves and Jane is searching for it once more.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like Miss Temple is a very necessary character in Jane's life at Lowood. Miss Temple is a ray of sunshine in that dark and dingy place--along with Helen, who suffers an untimely death. Though I agree with you in that Miss Temple leaving prohibits her from feeling fully at home, her leaving is a necessary plot device in order to start Jane on her next chapter; it enables her to end up at Thornfield. Once Miss Temple leaves Jane knows that it is time for her to move onto bigger and better things. I think Jane knew that Miss Temple would never be her 'home,' but she gave Jane hope in finding it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandria ,
    I agree with your observation that you think Jane is described as plain and simple. I feel like Brontë described her like that, in the first part of the book so far, because she was showing that Jane was still a child. However Jane is still such a strong character which can be seen in the scene that you pointed out where she tells her aunt off. I also really admire Jane’s strength in chapter 9 where she goes and spends the night with Helen because she knows that Helen is going to pass away. The quote “I dreaded being discovered and sent back ; for I must see Helen , - I must embrace her before she died…” (68) really stood out to me. Jane knows she is not allowed to go see her friend, but she cares about her so much and is not able to let her die without seeing her that she sneaks out tot go see her.

    -Daniel Pietaro

    ReplyDelete