Welcome!

Welcome to the class blog for ENGL 206-012. Here we interpret 400 years of literature with our 21st century minds and tools. Enjoy!

Friday, September 13, 2013

Oh, the IRONY.



After reading this lovely story, I am now truly a fan of Eliza Haywood.  After I got over the shock factor of how vivid she was in her sexual scenes of the story (I’m not reading Fifty Shades…right?), I found myself wanting to read this story again and again, because of its subtle wit, humor, and irony, as well as her main character’s obvious focus on women’s power.  Like we said in class, this story shows the power that women can have in the theater, which can be somewhat “dangerous” to the world.

Fantomina, the first character that the main character portrays, struck me as somewhat of a whim for the main character, but as the story went further it became obvious that this woman soon became too obsessed with having control over Beauplaisir. Her acting tricks soon became an addiction.

Haywood gives us hints of her inevitable character-playing from the beginning, telling us that this woman is, “naturally vain, and received no small pleasure in hearing herself praised,” (2567) which signals to us that this woman could easily find having power over a man a delight, since she does not need a man to actually make her feel comfortable with herself.  We know that the woman is of strong wit, and carries herself with pride right away, because Beauplaisir finds her to be unlike other loose women who are “for the most part gentlewomen by necessity, few of ‘em having had an education suitable to what they affect to appear” (2567).  The main character finds this role easy to take on because she has the smarts and wits to act out the part.

She deceives him beautifully, yet the irony is that she practically ruins her life by trying to ruin his.  Her actress-like ways have caused her to become pregnant, which causes her mother to exile her to a Monastery, where we are unaware if she will continue her ways as a performer.

It struck me as extremely amusing when she blames Beauplaisir for her sadness, when she is the maker of her own doom.  Obviously, in the end of the story she possibly understands that she has created something that she should be ashamed of, but right off the bat she blames Beauplaisar:

“No, my dear Beauplaisir, (added she) your love alone can compensate for the shame you have involved me in.” (2570)

Really?  The shame that he involved you in?  I’m pretty sure the shame is yours my dear.

It is equally as interesting later when her mother “commanded her to reveal the name of the person whose insinuations had drawn her to this dishonor,” (2583).
And later: “to whom you owe your ruin? Or have you deceived me by a fictatious tale?” (2584)
Oh the irony.

She might as well just say her own name, in my opinion, because she has drawn herself to her own dishonor.

What is also ironic and almost humorous is when Beauplaisir signs the letter to Incognita, “Your everlasting slave,” (2580).  We know as readers, this is the truth for him, but also for her who devotes her life to her acting throughout all of these women just to deceive him.  I had to laugh when Beauplaisir answers her letter with, “Never was woman formed to charm like you: never did any look like you,- write like you, -bless like you,” (2576).  It cannot get any more ironic than this statement.  Poor Beauplaisir.

I cannot say that I don’t find her way with this man extremely powerful and intelligent, as I believe Haywood hopes to portray about theater, especially that she could deceive him that these are different women actually having sex with him, but it is still wrong.  I started to think throughout the story that he may not have been much more of a “player” than any other man, and that her acting as these women was the very source of his demise to a scum of a lover.

She believes that she is living the dream by making up these characters, “How do some women (continued she) make their life a hell, burning in fruitless expectations, and dreaming out their days in hopes and fears,” but really she is the one living without actually knowing real love (2577).

I was on her side at some points when he was proven to be very dishonorable towards his many “women”, but in the end when he practically offers up his life for the baby of this woman that has deceived him, I found myself no longer on her side, and hating the artful treachery that she tricked him into.

As a woman of “class” from the country, she cares much more about reputation than virtue, shown in the beginning of the story when she would rather have sex with him than have her name around town:

“at the worst, have the private vexation of knowing I have lost him; -the intrigue being a secret, my disgrace will be so too.-  I shall hear no whispers as I pass.”

This parallels with many of the stories that we have read thus far, and shows how important this was, especially to women of this time.

To end my elaborate comments on Fantomina, I would like to bring up an interesting and highly ironic quote from the beginning of the story:

“He had no reason to distrust the truth of this story, and was therefore satisfied with it; but did not doubt by the beginning of her conduct, but that in the end she would be in reality the thing she so artfully had counterfeited,” (2570).

Here Beauplaisir talks about how she will most likely have sex with him because she has feigned to be a prostitute- but I think this line speaks multitudes about her fate as an actress.

3 comments:

  1. “Fantomina” is culpable, but I’m more sympathetic? She dresses up as a prostitute, “having…no other aim than the gratification of…curiosity” (2567). Indeed, she wonders “that men…should have tastes so very depraved” (2566), and seems innocent compared to her town friends (2566).

    She is vain, though. And she had little regard for the baby, as long as she wasn’t caught (2582).

    What seemed sad was her enjoyment of the initial encounter: “She found…pleasure in conversing…in this free and easy manner” (2567). How stringent were eighteenth-century interactions? Is she having what we would just consider a flirtatious conversation (I mean, besides the sex propositions…)?

    Beauplaisir being let off is ridiculous by today’s legal standards…

    I think “Fantomina” didn’t want to be a victim, or “lose.” The game or Beauplaisir is debatable, but that’s my two cents. Unfortunately for her, her refusal to let either go ended up costing her both, plus her freedom. Oh, the irony indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have become a major fan of Eliza Haywood after reading this story. I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I laughed when I read the title of your blog post because it is the same phrase I entitled mine when I wrote about Swift's "A Modest Proposal." You mentioned that you found many parallels in this story to other works we have read thus far. I completely agree with you - especially about the parallels found between this story and "A Modest Proposal" (hence my amusement at our shared blog title). What led me to this comparison was the following passage:

    "Had he been faithful to me (said she, to herself), either as Fantomina or Celia, or the Widow Bloomer, the most violent passion, if it does not change its object, in time will wither. Possession naturally abates the vigor of desire, and I should have had, at best, but a cold, insipid, husband-like lover in my arms; but by these arts of passing on him as a new mistress whenever the ardor, which alone makes love a blessing, begins to diminish for the former one, I have him always raving, wild, impatient, longing, dying. – O that all neglected wives and fond abandoned nymphs would take this method! – Men would be caught in their own snare, and have no cause to scorn our easy, weeping, wailing sex!" (2580)

    Her comment, "O that all neglected wives and fond abandoned nymphs would take this method!" sounds like it could be a satirical solution proposed by Swift tackling the apparently inevitable disinterest of husbands towards their wives. AKA: In order to salvage a marriage and keep the relationship interesting (so that husbands do not bore to death from this monogamous contract), I suggest that all women become masters in the art of role play and assume the shape of many different KINDS of women to entertain their husbands' wandering minds and ensure their interest. I so wish Swift could write another proposal such as this one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I never considered her role as an actress within the theater. I think it's interesting to consider what she did a talent. I recognize it as like reclaiming some kind of restricted power whenever she takes on a different disguise. Considering the protagonist thinking of B as being faithful to her is hilarious to me, since she basically stalked him. I can't decide if Haywood chose the ending as a way of showing that heroines are also capable of falling, just as heroes are - which sounds ridiculous, but like, if her protagonist simply succeeded, would the character appear unreal. Or rather, was it simply an effort to please society, and not upset too many people - keep her in good standing as an author. hmm.

    ReplyDelete