Welcome!

Welcome to the class blog for ENGL 206-012. Here we interpret 400 years of literature with our 21st century minds and tools. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Ramblin' Ramblers (posted for Dana)


Samuel Johnson centers “The Rambler” around a subject that I think everyone can relate to: procrastination. Coming from the Enlightenment, a time period all about self-improvement, I thought it did at times come across as preachy. Initially, Johnson was off to a good start when he discusses how his own issues with procrastination affect his work as a writer. Johnson beginning his column this way allows him to assimilate himself with his audience and shows that he is like the rest of us procrastinators who need to change their ways. The topic also instantly intrigued me because as a college student procrastination is something that l deal with everyday. I know that I am not the first person who has begun an assignment at two in the morning the night before it is due. However, I do think the column became too preachy when Johnson refers to the “evils” and “malignity” of procrastination. I understand that the piece was written in another time period, but I found these adjectives too extreme and harsh to be used to describe a problem that is not dangerous and uncommon. While Johnson provides laziness as one of the reasons for procrastination, his second reason, a fear of failure, hit closer to home. I know that when I am procrastinating writing it is usually because I feel as though my ideas are not good enough for anyone else to read. Which of Johnson’s reasons, if any, do you think are the reasons why students procrastinate most? Overall, even though “The Rambler” did not suit my interests, it is comforting to know that even sophisticated writers of the Enlightenment experienced writers’ block and the temptation to procrastinate from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great point about Johnson's word choice here--why do you think he used such hyperbole? I know it seems silly for him to talk about procrastination as "evil" or "malignant"...but do you think he did this just because of Enlightenment values or is something else at work here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do procrastinate in terms of minutes, I think because, in my experience, “remorse and vexation…forbid [me] to enjoy [tranquility]” (554, 555), I more strongly identify with Johnson’s discussion on “hesitat[ing] between different desires, till a rival has precluded [me]” (555), rival sometimes being time itself.

    Another quote that indicted me was “reconciling ourselves to our own cowardice by excuses, which, while we admit them, we know to be absurd” (554). I make resolutions, find myself double-guessing myself, swing the other way, and then make excuses.

    As for Johnson’s rhetoric, some of it could be the values and style of the time, but maybe the hyperbole is intentional? Like with campaigns – they might not get you to agree, but if they present a strongly worded argument, you might come halfway. Honestly, I think just thinking about your own habits critically pretty much fulfills Johnson’s objective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I found this piece almost impossible to read. Johnson was in serious need of an editor. I know wordiness and inflated language was in style in his day, but that was just painful. It's good that someone got something out of it, because it almost killed me. And not in the 18th century sense either.

    ReplyDelete