Welcome!

Welcome to the class blog for ENGL 206-012. Here we interpret 400 years of literature with our 21st century minds and tools. Enjoy!

Friday, September 13, 2013

So many possible interpretations of "An Epistle to a Lady"

So basically, Leapor, or Mira, seems extremely indecisive and depressed throughout the poem. Yes, I do believe that Mira is Leapor's poetic representation of herself. This line lead me to that conclusion, "Yet Mira dreams, as slumbering poets may" (21). Within this same stanza the depression becomes more evident. Most specifically, when Mira awakes from her blissful dreams to continue with her cleaning and other dreary chores.

The following stanza is more gloominess, introducing death within the poem. It seems to me that as her happiness fades, her life is also ending. I'm not completely sure if this is a literal death or more symbolically the death of her spirit.

And now for my favorite stanza:

"But how will this dismantled soul appear,
When stripped of all it lately held so dear,
Forced from its prison of expiring clay,
Afraid and shivering at the doubtful way?" (45-48)

I like this stanza because it can be interpreted in many different ways. The imagery here is also very strong. I pictured the "expiring clay" to be the soul's body that it has finally escaped. Following this interpretation, now that the soul is free it is unsure of what to do. The freedom seems overwhelming, especially compared to its previous situation.

After re-reading this section, the prison could more broadly be referencing women's oppression within society. Mira is realizing that it is possibly a societal flaw. The women are molded like "clay" to fulfill certain expectations and are limited to only these options. The issue that I have with this symbolism is that I do not fully understand this stanza according to these guidelines. If the soul is being forced out of its previous role within society, why is it also being "stripped of all it lately held so dear?"

I think I've been staring at this poem for too long... All of the different options are starting to blend together and confuse me even more...

Now here is my second favorite section:

"Or shall I wish to stretch the line of fate,
That the dull years may bear a longer date,
To share the follies of succeeding times
With more vexations and with deeper crimes?" (55-58)

Side note: I just realized that both sections I chose are questions. Additionally, they are placed ten lines apart from each other. I wonder if there is some reasoning for this placement.

Anyways, these lines stood out to me because they seemed to capture the entirety of the poem. Mira pondering her life and options. This is the ultimate question, should she hope for life or death? It seems that she has a very pessimistic view of the future, that the crimes of future societies will be even worse.

How did you guys interpret this poem or these specific sections?

1 comment:

  1. Reading “An Essay on Women” and “Epistle to a Lady” might help. For instance, in regards to the first question, if it is interpreted as societal, then being “stripped of all it held so dear” (46) could refer to a state of isolation, similar to Pamphilia’s plight in “An Essay on Women.” Personally, that comparison makes the appeal – “let me grasp a friend” (42)” – even more heartrending.

    But even if interpreted spiritually, I think the “prison of expiring clay” (47) refers to an unfulfilled life created by social stigmas, especially when considering how the artist lives for dreams unfortunately succeeded by menial tasks (27-32).

    Likewise, I think the second question also fits into these interpretations, as living in a world, surrounded by or participating in “follies” (57), or, being interpreted by others as “vex[ing]” (58), lacks appeal. Interestingly, the men in “An Essay on Women” were “vexed” by Pamphilia (30)…

    And now I’ve been staring too long. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete